"Todd Packer" is the eighteenth episode of the seventh season of the American television comedy series "The Office" and is the 144th episode overall. It was written by Ameillie Gillete and directed by Randal Einhorn. It originally aired on February 24, 2011. It was viewed by 6.12 million people.
Traveling salesman Todd Packer (David Koechner) comes to Dunder Mifflin looking for a desk job in the office. However, the office is unsure if they want him to work there due to his previous behavior. Holly gives him a job as a salesman, forcing Dwight to leave his desk and move to the annex. Todd repeatedly offends everybody with his "jokes," especially Kevin, although Kevin pretends to go along with it. Only Michael, who has a similar sense of humor, is un-offended by Todd. Holly, who was at first excited to have Todd in the office per Michael's recommendations, quickly discovers how insensitive Todd is and asks Michael to get him under control.
Michael and Todd have coffee in the lobby, where Todd says he wants to make the effort to be a better person. Michael gets Todd to apologize, but everyone can tell that the apologies are insincere. Dwight and Jim scheme to get rid of Todd, first by planning to pull pranks on him, but eventually taking more drastic measures. They call him, pretending to be Corporate offering him a job in Tallahassee, Florida, a job which Todd readily accepts. When Michael finds out about the scheme, he plans to tell Todd that Dwight and Jim have tricked him. Before he has a chance to, however, Todd insults Holly, which causes Michael to keep Dwight and Jim's scheme a secret and allow Todd to take the "job" in Florida. As Michael and Holly witness Todd drive away from the view in his office, Michael smiles as he refers to Packer as "an ass" before they embrace.
Meanwhile, when office administrator Pam gets a new computer for the receptionist's desk to replace the current, ancient one, Andy wants a new computer too. Pam states that if she were to get a new computer for one sales rep (Andy), she would have to get one for every sales rep, which leads the entire office momentarily believing that new computers are being freely handed out. Since Pam refuses to give him a new computer, Andy switches his computer with Erin, a trade Erin seems to be fine with. Pam is angry with him, saying that the computer was not meant for Erin personally but for the receptionist's desk in general, and therefore it was not hers to switch.
Pam tells Andy that the only way he can get a new computer is if his breaks, which leads to him accepting all cookies, intentionally opening pop-up ads, and placing food in the disc drive. Pam then buys Andy a new computer, but they scratch it up as to not make it look brand new. When they pretend to argue about it in front of the office, Pam claims that she found it in the warehouse. Darryl subtly confronts Pam later regarding finding the computer in the warehouse. As he knows everything that's in the warehouse and where, he leverages Pam into giving him more sick days. Pam appears to be excited that she is now "corrupt" and trading favors.
- Dwight throws away Holly's miniature Zen garden.
- Andy enthusiastically watches a video of a regatta (a series of boat races) on his computer.
- Erin's new computer is an iMac; according to Andy, pop star Gwen Stefani also owns this computer.
- Andy asks if Pyllis would play Mahjong faster if she had a new computer.
- Dwight compliments Kevin by saying that in sumo culture, he would be a promising up-and-comer. This somehow cheers him up.
- Erin asks Holly to take Dwight's ant farm back to the annex.
- Holly compares Packer with comedians Bill Cosby, Steve Martin and the YouTube video Charlie Bit My Finger.
- Dwight asks Jim if the macabre author and poet Edgar Allan Poe knows about his idea of messing with Packer.
- Dwight mishears the name of pop star Justin Bieber and asks "Who is Justice Beaver?".
- Packer asks Michael if he can open the kimono with him, asking if he can be completely honest.
- Dwight tells Packer to check out the Harry Potter World in Florida.
- Packer is "a huge alligator nerd" and "a huge boob nerd".
Connections to previous episodesEdit
- The toy parrot from the rum that Jim and Pam gave Michael as a souvenir from their honeymoon in The Lover appears again in the cupboard in Michael's office.
- When Andy switches computers with Erin, his desktop photo is one of him with his grandmother. Andy previously stated in Classy Christmas, that "I don't have kids or anything, but if my grandmother ever dies, I'm going to kill myself."
- Jim and Dwight, pretending to be from the Sabre HQ, call Packer and invite him over to Jo's house and to swim in her pool. In St. Patrick's Day Michael found out that not even he was really welcome at Jo's house or pool in Florida.
- Steve Carell as Michael Scott
- Rainn Wilson as Dwight Schrute
- John Krasinski as Jim Halpert
- Jenna Fischer as Pam Halpert
- B.J. Novak as Ryan Howard
- Ed Helms as Andy Bernard
- Leslie David Baker as Stanley Hudson
- Brian Baumgartner as Kevin Malone
- Creed Bratton (actor) as Creed Bratton
- Kate Flannery as Meredith Palmer
- Mindy Kaling as Kelly Kapoor
- Ellie Kemper as Erin Hannon
- Angela Kinsey as Angela Martin
- Oscar Nunez as Oscar Martinez
- Craig Robinson as Darryl Philbin
- Phyllis Smith as Phyllis Vance
- Zach Woods as Gabe Lewis
- Amy Ryan as Holly Flax
|"The Mentor"||The Office: Season 7||The Office: Season 8|
|#01||Nepotism||#07||Christening||#13||The Ultimatum||#19||Garage Sale||#25||Search Committee Part 1|
|#02||Counseling||#08||Viewing Party||#14||The Seminar||#20||Training Day||#26||Search Committee Part 2|
|#03||Andy's Play||#09||WUPHF.com||#15||The Search||#21||Michael's Last Dundies|
|#04||Sex Ed||#10||China||#16||PDA||#22||Goodbye, Michael|
|#05||The Sting||#11||Classy Christmas Part 1||#17||Threat Level Midnight||#23||The Inner Circle|
|#06||Costume Contest||#12||Classy Christmas Part 2||#18||Todd Packer||#24||Dwight K. Schrute, (Acting) Manager|