"The Meeting" was the second episode of Season 6 and the show's 102nd episode, overall. It was written by Aaron Shure, who also wrote the episode, Two Weeks, and was directed by Randall Einhorn, who had directed the episodes Cafe Disco, Golden Ticket and Blood Drive. It originally aired on September 24, 2009. It was viewed by 7.33 million people.
Jim tries to advance in the company; he talks to David Wallace at the office about making him manager and making Michael director of sales. Michael desperately tries to find out what is happening and is suspicious. First, he asks Pam if she knows anything, however she refuses to tell him. Then he looks to Andy for direction. Andy suggests making a cheese cart with a tablecloth where Michael can hide. Andy brings the cheese cart and Michael into the conference room where David and Jim are meeting.
They finish, and Michael is still left with no information.
As Dwight and Toby search for information, Pam tries to settle her guest list for her wedding in Niagara Falls. She first asks Kelly who replies she will go if Ryan goes, because without him, "It's kind of a waste." Kelly then rewords her answer and says that she would like Ryan to go so that she can support Jim.
Michael continues to be suspicious about Jim and David Wallace, and he decides to talk to David about Jim. David Wallace asks Michael what he thinks about Jim, and says that he a good guy, but not capable of running Dunder Mifflin Scranton. He shows David a negative review in Jim's file, and then David reveals Jim's idea (to make Michael director of sales and to make him branch manger). Then, David leaves and tells Jim to walk him out, and Jim comes back looking angry at Michael.
Dwight and Toby go to Darryl's house and think they see Darryl, without crutches, wearing a football jersey. Toby then calls him (really her) an asshole, and the person turns, who is in actuality, Darryl's little sister, who has a very similar look to Darryl. In a hurry, Dwight pulls away from the house, and crashes into a garbage can, hurting Toby.
At the office Pam asks Ryan if he is going to their wedding, and tries to get him not to go by saying that it is $70 for the trip. He, however, says he has coming, and a moderately angry Pam, checks off Kelly and Ryan for guests that are coming to their wedding.
Jim, realizing that Michael probably worsened his chances, decides to talk to Michael about his conversation, and Michael finally admits that Jim came up. Michael also admits that he showed David his file and decides to call David Wallace, but in doing so, worsens Jim's chances (and his own) and loses Jim's trust. However, David then calls back, saying that the board had a plan to make both Michael and Jim co-managers, and they agree to the plan.
Jim and Michael walk out the office and announce that they are now both co-managers, to Dwight's obvious dismay.
Darryl and his sister come to the office and tell Toby and Dwight that they are making a complaint to corporate. Dwight says that they thought that Darryl's sister was in fact Darryl, and Darryl questions them. Dwight points out the sister's remarkabe resemblance to Darryl. Dwight then goes to the warehouse with Toby and realizes that Darryl was lying, that the lift was misused and that Darryl didn't want to tell Toby that. Darryl rebukes that he will tell corporate that Dwight sexually harassed his sister, but Dwight asks, "What judge would ever believe that?"
Both Darryl with his sister and Dwight make complaints to corporate, the paperwork of which is left for Toby to fill out.
In the end, Pam talks to Meredith about coming to the wedding. Meredity says she'll text Pam on the wedding day for directions and that she'll have the fanciest thing, unless there are ribs. Angela and Pam are complaining about Meredity to each other when Pam moves Angela's bag to sit down. This causes Angela to say, "Pam, my bag was there."
- In the intro, Michael tells Oscar he's having a colonoscopy. This is a lie he previously told to David Wallace in Golden Ticket in which he descriptively explained how a colonoscopy is performed.
- In the beginning of the episode David Wallace asks Michael for a "Run down of his clients", Michael seems to know exactly what it is, something Jim did not know in Heavy Competition.
- Michael tells David Wallace, "I have so much work to do, I feel like I'm gonna blow my brains out." This is yet another insensitive remark from Michael seeing as to how a former Dunder Mifflin employee shot himself in the head a while back.
- Steve Carell as Michael Scott
- Rainn Wilson as Dwight Schrute
- John Krasinski as Jim Halpert
- Jenna Fischer as Pam Beesly
- B.J. Novak as Ryan Howard
- Ed Helms as Andy Bernard
- Leslie David Baker as Stanley Hudson
- Brian Baumgartner as Kevin Malone
- Creed Bratton (actor) as Creed Bratton
- Kate Flannery as Meredith Palmer
- Mindy Kaling as Kelly Kapoor
- Ellie Kemper as Erin Hannon
- Angela Kinsey as Angela Martin
- Paul Lieberstein as Toby Flenderson
- Oscar Nunez as Oscar Martinez
- Craig Robinson as Darryl Philbin
- Phyllis Smith as Phyllis Vance
|Subtle Sexuality||The Office: Season 6||"The Mentor"|
|#01||Gossip||#07||The Lover||#13||Secret Santa||#19||St. Patrick's Day||#25||The Chump|
|#02||The Meeting||#08||Koi Pond||#14||The Banker||#20||New Leads||#26||Whistleblower|
|#03||The Promotion||#09||Double Date||#15||Sabre||#21||Happy Hour|
|#04||Niagara, Part 1||#10||Murder||#16||Manager and Salesman||#22||Secretary's Day|
|#05||Niagara, Part 2||#11||Shareholder Meeting||#17||The Delivery, Part 1||#23||Body Language|
|#06||Mafia||#12||Scott's Tots||#18||The Delivery, Part 2||#24||The Cover-Up|