"Gettysburg" is the eighth episode of the eighth season of the American comedy television series The Office, and the show's 160th episode overall. The episode aired on NBC in the United States on November 17, 2011. It was written by Robert Padnick and directed by Jeffrey Blitz.
Andy decides to motivate and inspire everyone by taking them on a field trip to Gettysburg. Much to Andy's chagrin, half of the office volunteers to stay behind and Robert California asks them to come up with Dunder Mifflin/Sabre’s next big idea. However, the office fails to impress Robert with their ideas. Kevin details a very basic idea he has about cookie placement in the vending machine, but Robert gets the impression that he is extremely clever and is speaking only in metaphors. Ryan later tricks Kevin into explaining an idea he has involving the Big Mac, and Robert realizes that there was no subtext to Kevin's ideas.
Meanwhile, at Gettysburg, Andy is unhappy with the lack of morale and belief in his leadership and attempts to make an analogy between running a paper company and fighting in the Civil War. Andy starts to lead a haphazard tour, and eventually most of office members sit down to rest. Jim and Darryl follow Andy after he presses on, and eventually tell him to stop trying to impress the office. They reinforce the fact that his co-workers like him the way he is.
During the tour, Dwight argues with Oscar about what he claims is the northernmost battle of the Civil War: the Battle of Schrute Farms. Dwight maintains that its absence from the history books is an example of re-writing history, whereas Oscar maintains that the battle is a fictitious creation. After tracking down a historian, Dwight and Oscar learn that the Battle of Schrute Farms did in fact take place. However, the "battle" was really a code term. During the Civil War, Schrute Farms was a safe haven for artists and poets (and, as heavily implied, homosexuals). Oscar finds this fascinating, whereas Dwight leaves in disgust.
Gabe is sidetracked by another tour group, who assume that he is an Abraham Lincoln impersonator (which Gabe notes is a frequent occurrence when he is seen by children), and he is forced to give an improvised but applauded performance.
- On the bus ride to Gettysburg, Darryl brings the movie Limitless starring Bradley Cooper, who co-starred with Ed Helms in The Hangover and The Hangover Part II.
- Source Code is a 2011 American sci-fi techno-thriller film starring Jake Gyllenhaal.
- Oscar sarcastically calls Dwight historian Gore Vidal.
- Ryan's idea involves origami and sushi.
- Gabe does an impression of Abraham Lincoln, the 16th president of the United States, and his assassination.
- Kevin has an idea involving the Big Mac hamburgers.
- Gabe says that Limitless is called "The Man with Many Capabilities" in France. In reality, the movie is known in France simply as Limitless (original English name, not even translated) .
- "Gettysburg" was the last episode to feature Jenna Fischer before she went on maternity leave.
References to Previous Episodes Edit
- This is the second time the new boss mistakenly believed Kevin to be intelligent. The first time was Deangelo in the episode Inner Circle.
- In "The List," Robert California calls half of the office staff winners and the other half losers. He says "winners prove me right, and losers prove me wrong." This was shown not to be forgotten when many of the "winners" go on the field trip, and Robert states to the remainder of the office staff, mostly "losers," "You guys have shown yourselves to be the free thinkers in the office."
- In "Casino Night," Michael says " the Lincoln assassination just became funny. I need to see this play like I need a hole in the head." When Gabe is pretending to be Lincoln he also says "I need to see this play like I need a hole in the head."
- Rainn Wilson as Dwight Schrute
- John Krasinski as Jim Halpert
- Jenna Fischer as Pam Halpert
- B.J. Novak as Ryan Howard
- Ed Helms as Andy Bernard
- James Spader as Robert California
- Leslie David Baker as Stanley Hudson
- Brian Baumgartner as Kevin Malone
- Creed Bratton (actor) as Creed Bratton
- Kate Flannery as Meredith Palmer
- Mindy Kaling as Kelly Kapoor
- Ellie Kemper as Erin Hannon
- Angela Kinsey as Angela Martin-Lipton
- Oscar Nunez as Oscar Martinez
- Craig Robinson as Darryl Philbin
- Phyllis Smith as Phyllis Vance
- Phil Hawn as Park Ranger
- Jonathan Nail as Tourist
- Robin Dalea as Chelsea's Mother
- Nancy Lantis
- Alyssa Suzanne Larsen
- Weston Nathanson
- Duane Shepard Sr.
- Jim Wisniewski
|Season 7||The Office - Season 8||Season 9|
|#01||The List||#07||Pam's Replacement||#13||Jury Duty||#19||Get the Girl|
|#02||The Incentive||#08||Gettysburg||#14||Special Project||#20||Welcome Party|
|#03||Lotto||#09||Mrs. California||#15||Tallahassee||#21||Angry Andy|
|#04||Garden Party||#10||Christmas Wishes||#16||After Hours||#22||Fundraiser|
|#05||Spooked||#11||Trivia||#17||Test the Store||#23||Turf War|
|#06||Doomsday||#12||Pool Party||#18||Last Day in Florida||#24||Free Family Portrait Studio|