"Dream Team" is the twenty-second episode of the fifth season of The Office, and the show's 94th episode overall. It was written by B.J. Novak and directed by Paul Feig. It was aired on April 9, 2009. It was viewed by 7.20 million people.
Charles Miner is now in charge of the Scranton branch, due to the absence of Michael Scott, and seems to dislike Jim, much to Dwight's pleasure. Pam and Michael decide to assemble a 'Dream Team' to get the company started. Michael recommends Ryan, stating, "He's everything I'm not and everything I am," an offer which Pam quickly denies. Michael then states the company already has a meeting later with an investor, making Pam visibly excited. Michael and Pam then decide to search for Vikram, an employee Michael formerly worked with at the telemarketing agency. Back at the office Andy discovers that Charles Miner loves soccer and soon the whole office is trying to impress him. When Jim says that he plays soccer (from second to fourth grade, he was on the orange team), he soon finds himself being stuck in a soccer game with Charles after work.
With Vikram now part of the company, Michael drives to a bowling alley claiming he has to use the bathroom. When Pam heads inside to see why Michael is taking so long, she discovers him talking to a new bleach-blonde Ryan. Michael claims the new company has no files and therefore no proof of his past mis-conduct, leading Ryan to join them. The Michael Scott Paper Company tries to get the members of a local investment club (one of which is Michael's grandmother) to invest, to which they soon decline, saying the company will never get ahead with the state of the economy. The game back at Dunder-Mifflin then begins, revealing that Jim has no soccer experience, and does not even know how to play. Vikram claims that the investors brought up some good questions, that the company is impractical, and he soon quits and is thrown out of Michael's car.
While playing soccer Jim ducks out of the way of the ball and Phyllis is hit in the face. Pam, sitting in Michael's car, tells him that she was just feeling impulsive and should have never taken the job with him. Michael tells Pam that he works best when people don't believe in him and that he is going to go find an office space for them. The office that Michael finds, turns out to be a former closet in the same building as Dunder-Mifflin.
- Ryan Howard (B.J. Novak) returns after an absence of eleven episodes from his alleged trip to Thailand that was, in reality, a trip to Fort Lauderdale.
- With Pam no longer working at Dunder Mifflin, the candy jar at reception is now empty.
- Michael's "Proud owner of a quality Seiko timepiece" certificate and other office decor can now be seen throughout his condo.
- The sign for "Michael Scott Paper Company" is altered when Charles enters the room.
- Dwight and Charles question why Jim ducked out of the way of the soccer ball that hit Phyllis in the face. However, Jim's reaction would be completely normal, being that there was no reason Charles should have kicked that ball that high, or hard in that scenario. Dwight points out that an experienced soccer player wouldn't have done that, and Charles agrees, but that's not a situation that would ever happen, other than for the comedic effect.
Connections to previous episodesEdit
- Michael's story of how he scored the most goals in school history recalls his hockey-playing dreams from the episode Michael's Birthday.
- Vikram was Michael's coworker at the telemarketing company in the Season Four episode Money.
- Steve Carell as Michael Scott
- Rainn Wilson as Dwight Schrute
- John Krasinski as Jim Halpert
- Jenna Fischer as Pam Beesly
- B.J. Novak as Ryan Howard
- Ed Helms as Andy Bernard
- Leslie David Baker as Stanley Hudson
- Brian Baumgartner as Kevin Malone
- Creed Bratton (actor) as Creed Bratton
- Kate Flannery as Meredith Palmer
- Mindy Kaling as Kelly Kapoor
- Angela Kinsey as Angela Martin
- Oscar Nunez as Oscar Martinez
- Phyllis Smith as Phyllis Vance
Special guest starEdit
- Ranjit Chowdhry as Vikram
- Connie Sawyer as "Nana"
- Eve Sigall as Elderly Investor
- Jim Woods as Elderly Investor
|Kevin's Loan||The Office: Season 5||The Outburst|
|#01||Weight Loss||#07||Business Trip||#13||Stress Relief||#19||Two Weeks||#25||Cafe Disco|
|#02||Business Ethics||#08||Frame Toby||#14||Lecture Circuit Part 1||#20||Dream Team||#26||Company Picnic|
|#03||Baby Shower||#09||The Surplus||#15||Lecture Circuit Part 2||#21||Michael Scott Paper Company|
|#04||Crime Aid||#10||Moroccan Christmas||#16||Blood Drive||#22||Heavy Competition|
|#05||Employee Transfer||#11||The Duel||#17||Golden Ticket||#23||Broke|
|#06||Customer Survey||#12||Prince Family Paper||#18||New Boss||#24||Casual Friday|